As consumers become more tech-driven and reliant on community feedback and user-generated content, many diners wouldn't think to step foot inside a restaurant without doing some type of research on the establishment.
Unfortunately, the current state of restaurant review websites is no longer adequate. A study from The Harvard Business School found that 16 percent of Yelp reviews are fake, and the U.K. even recently started to crack down on fake online reviews.
With review websites in such disarray, how can restaurant owners be certain that consumers are seeing the real restaurant? How can owners truly engage customers and gain real, original feedback so that they can offer the best dining experience possible?
New research from Original Review, a technology firm focused on gaining customer insights, has uncovered a new take on restaurant reviews. Here are some interesting takeaways.
Top survey findings
Respondents are aware of the fraud around review sites but still feel that reviews are influential. For many respondents, the key to turning around a poor dining experience is feeling like their concerns are heard.
- More than 95 percent of those surveyed use review sites to search for new restaurants
- More than 75 percent agree they want to see 2-9 positive reviews before trying a new restaurant
- More than 50 percent will not visit a restaurant if they see 2-4 negative reviews
- 71 percent of respondents said that a review site where diners could only post reviews from the restaurant itself, thus eliminating fraud, would be attractive to them, and 80 percent said they would look for reviews on this site
- 85 percent of those surveyed would give their email address to receive special discounts and promotional offers from a restaurant
- 90 percent say they would likely return to a restaurant where they had a bad experience with food or service if they had the ability to communicate directly with management and felt their concerns were taken seriously and there was an effort made to make it better
With its new OR Customer Insight Platform, Original Review is providing restaurants with an easy-to-use technology that provides a valuable combination of actionable, real-time feedback, real and plentiful consumer reviews and customer engagement and loyalty. Already, after just a few short months with the OR solution, restaurants are seeing clear, measurable benefits that are helping them optimize their operations and revenues.
Visit Original Review during the NRA Show 2016 at Booth #6678 located in the North Hall, Hall B to learn more.
This post is sponsored by Original Review