There’s no question that the foodservice business can be fast-paced. But that frenetic pace creates a greater opportunity for food and beverage spills that can ultimately lead to slips and falls.
Whether it’s a patron or employee, injuries from slips and falls can negatively affect a store’s business through insurance costs or disability claims, reduced productivity and damage to the chain’s reputation. In today’s digital society, patrons’ comments, reviews, photos and video are posted in real-time, and negative news can lead to the loss of both current and potential business.
According to the National Floor Safety Institute, slips and falls are the primary cause of lost days from work and the leading cause of worker’s compensation claims. Trying to remove spills with mops and buckets increases risks because of slow drying times and slippery conditions, putting customers at risk for slip-and-fall accidents.
The National Restaurant Association provides the following recommendations for ways to avoid slip-and-fall liability:
- Keep pathways and high-traffic walkways clear.
- Train staff to report any spillage or cleaning needs immediately and deal with them as soon as they’re spotted.
- Caution patrons—don’t leave a spill unattended while getting cleaning tools.
- Use steaming tools and solutions designed to cut through grease and grime without leaving a slippery residue.
- Educate staff on the correct way to use cleaning tools and solutions.
- Real-time cleaning needs tend to occur in smaller areas with high traffic, such as entryways, food and beverage service areas, lounges and bars. Operators can benefit by having a suite of cordless tools that staff can quickly and easily deploy for a wide variety of wet and dry spills to immediately address the cleaning need. Compact cordless tools create minimal noise, are ideal to use during business hours to maintain positive first impressions and reduce liability from staff and/or patrons tripping over cords.
SmAHT is a proprietary term that Oreck Commercial created, which stands for “Small Area, High Traffic.” Oreck Commercial has launched three new cordless products, each designed for a different SmAHT cleaning task. The TaskVac, HydroVac and SlingVac are lightweight, compact and all promise quick, problem resolution with little interruption during the business day.
Oreck Commercial’s cordless line is powered by a M-PWR 20V lithium ion battery. Designed for quick change and charge, they leverage the innovative efficiency of cordless technology, freeing staff from being tethered to electrical sockets, and allowing environments to be maintained in real time.
Through education and implementation of safety protocols, staff will be better prepared to deal with cleaning issues that occur during business hours immediately, and with minimal noise or impact on patrons. And with the right suite of products available to them, real-time SmAHT cleaning can be done quickly, effectively and safely.
This post is sponsored by Oreck Commercial