Starting this weekend, thousands of couples will be donning their best attire, heading to their favorite restaurants and racking up hefty bills in celebration of Valentine’s Day. OpenTable, an online provider of free, real-time restaurant reservations, compiled a report on this year’s Valentine’s Day trends, keeping operators prepped and ready for the rush.
- 93% of Valentine’s Day diners intend to match last year’s spending or step it up a notch
- 64% of diners are set to spend more than $100 this Valentine’s Day
- 53% of OpenTable diners say they plan to make Valentine’s Day reservations more than a week in advance
- 47% of diners plan to celebrate Valentine’s Day on Tuesday, February 14th
- 26% of diners plan to celebrate Valentine’s Day on Saturday, February 11th
- 35% of diners believe Italian cuisine to be the most romantic Valentine’s Day dining choice, followed by 25% who believe French cuisine is the most romantic
- Only 1 in 4 say that an evening without a date would keep them at home on Valentine’s Day