What will be the next big buzzword on restaurant menus? According to trend-spotting Chicago research firm Food Genius, it just might be “protein.” Says CEO Justin Massa, “A few health-centric concepts, such as Protein Bar, have put a major focus on [protein], but so far they are the exception rather than the rule. Our instinct is that this is going to change.” In 2013, “healthy” was hot, with menu descriptions making health-related claims. Pair that with the explosion of “protein” in beverage and packaged goods, and the market is ripe, Massa says. “We’re anticipating that you’ll see protein-specific health claims popping up on menus later this year.”
- Panera to the FDA: Define 'egg'
- Burger King takes another dig at McDonald’s
- Breakfasts from around the world
- 3 classic salads to put back on the menu
- Dunkin' reworks its doughnut recipes