|Ingredients||Potatoes, Vegetables, Mushrooms, Dairy|
|Menu Part||Side Dish|
This vegetable vol-au-vent is a model of its kind, a ramekin topped with a buttery, flaky pastry enclosing carrots, asparagus, lima beans with mushrooms, shallots and other savory treats.
4 shallots, chopped
2 cups domestic, shiitake and cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups carrots, diced
2 cups new potatoes, diced
2 cups pearl onions
3 1⁄3 cups stock
1 cup heavy cream
1 1⁄2 cups peas
1 1⁄2 cups lima beans
1 1⁄2 cups asparagus tips
1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, diced
1⁄4 cup fresh tarragon, chopped
1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
12 6-in. puff pastry rounds
1. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté shallots and mushrooms in oil until soft; set aside.
2. In a large pot, combine carrots, potatoes, pearl onions and stock. Simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add shallot-mushroom mixture, scraping pan, and heavy cream and reduce until sauce is thick.
3. Add peas, beans, asparagus tips, tomatoes, tarragon and parsley and simmer 5 min. Season to taste.
4. Pour mixture into individual 5-in. ramekins. Top with a puff pastry round, pinching edges closed. With a knife, slit top of pastry for a steam vent.
5. Bake at 400° F. 10-15 min. until pastry is puffed and light golden in color.