A big bowl of steaming chowder is a mouth-watering start to any meal. Here cod, beans and corn come together in a fragrant and full-bodied broth. Chips on the side add a nice bit of crunch.
8 cups onions, halved and sliced
1 #10 can diced tomatoes in juice
1 #10 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 #10 can corn, drained
5 cups chopped green chiles
3 gal., plus 2 cups chicken or fish stock
1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
1⁄2 cup chili powder
2 tbsp. toasted cumin seeds, crushed
1 tbsp. garlic powder
8 lb. 4 oz. Alaska cod, thawed if necessary, cut in 1-in. pieces
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Tortilla chips, for garnish
1. In a large stockpot, combine onions, tomatoes in juice, black beans, corn, and chiles.
2. Add broth, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer and cook 10 min.
3. Pan sear cod in lightly oiled non-stick skillet about 3 min.; add to chowder.
4. Simmer chowder 20 min. over med. heat.
5. Portion about 11⁄2 cups soup into shallow bowl. Garnish with chips, if d