Ancho Barbecue Quail
Source: Recipe from Chef Richard Pignetti
A fantastic meal is the result of this pairing of quail with a Blue Cheese tart. The sauce for the quail is a full-flavored combination of sweetness and spice.
1⁄2 lb. dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
1⁄2 cup white wine
1 qt. barbecue sauce
1⁄2 cup honey
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
Blue Cheese Tart:
3 egg yolks
8 oz. cream cheese
1⁄3 cup heavy cream
1⁄4 cup ground black pepper
1⁄4 cup oregano, parsley, thyme, and mint, finely chopped
10 1⁄2 oz. blue cheese
8 3 1⁄2-in. pre-baked tart shells
24 4-oz. quail
- In a food processor, grind chiles to a powder consistency, add wine, and steep for 2 hr.
- Heat barbecue sauce, add honey and brown sugar and cool; add chile/wine mixture.
- For tart, combine egg yolks, cream cheese, and heavy cream in a large bowl and whip until smooth; add pepper and herbs.
- Crumble blue cheese into mixture and fold until combined. Fill tart shells with 2-3 oz. of mixture. Bake 7-9 min. at 325°F until golden.
- Season quail and place on a hot grill. When half cooked, place on cooler spot and start basting with barbeque sauce. Continue to baste until cooked through, about 7 min.
To serve, brush 3 quail with sauce and place on Blue Cheese Tart.