Avocado-Studded Mardi Gras Fritters
|Ingredients||Eggs, Vegetables, Dairy|
|Day Part||Lunch, Snack, Dinner|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
These light and delicate fritters are spicy and filled with soothing avocado. A Creole flavored Mustard-Apricot sauce is the perfect accompaniment.
Creole Mustard-Apricot sauce:
1 3⁄4 cups apricot jam
1 cup Creole mustard
1⁄4 cup water
10 1⁄2 oz. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. salt
4 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1⁄2 tbsp. lemon zest
1⁄2 tbsp. thyme, chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 California Avocados, 1⁄4-in. dice
- For sauce, mix ingredients until well blended and reserve.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Beat egg yolks until light and whisk in milk, zest, thyme, garlic, and cayenne.
- Stir in dry ingredients until mixed; if batter is too thick, add extra milk. Allow batter to rest in refrigerator at least 2 hr. or overnight.
- Fold in avocado and reserve.
- Whip egg whites until stiff and fold into avocado mixture.
To serve, drop 6 generous spoonfuls of batter, one at a time into 375°F. oil. Cook until golden brown, about 2 min. Serve with Creole Mustard-Apricot sauce on the side.