An easy to prepare but delicious dessert, these individual sponge cakes served atop a dish of Banana Rum Sauce or Berry Sauce will be sure to please.
8 babas or individual sponge cakes
Banana Rum Sauce:
1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 oz. rum
4 oz. frozen sweet banana puree, thawed
2 tbsp. heavy cream
8 oz. water
1 cup granulated sugar
8 oz. frozen berry strawberry puree, thawed
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
Apple slices and mint sprigs, for garnish
- Prepare Banana Rum Sauce: In saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and rum; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer mixture 2-3 min.
- Stir in sweet banana purée and cream. Remove from heat. Strain through a sieve and cool.
- Prepare Berry Sauce: In a saucepan, combine water and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 min. Remove from heat and cool.
- Stir in berry puree and lemon juice. Strain; transfer to a squeeze bottle or storage container.
- To serve, spoon or squeeze fruit sauces onto individual dessert plates. Use a toothpick to swirl for a marble effect. Place babas on top of purées; garnish with apple slices and mint.