Barbecued Salmon with Smoked Ratatouille
Source: Recipe from Chef Greg Markey
This salmon is grilled with a luscious maple glaze and served on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes. On the side, ratatouille prepared with smoked tomatoes adds great flavor.
2 1⁄2 tbsp. canola oil
2 yellow onions
3⁄4 cup maple syrup
3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
2 1⁄2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1⁄4 cup ketchup
1 1⁄2 tsp. red chile flakes
2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 lb. eggplant, 1⁄2-in. slices
1⁄2 cup olive oil
1 lb. tomatoes, peeled and cold smoked, 1⁄2-in. dice
1 lb. zucchini
1 lb. yellow zucchini
1 lb. red pepper
1 lb. yellow pepper
1 lb. yellow onion, peeled and cold-smoked, 1⁄2-in. dice
1⁄8 cup garlic, minced
1⁄8 cup parsley, minced
1 tbsp. thyme, minced
15 6-oz. salmon fillets
1. For glaze, heat oil in a large pot and sauté onions 2-3 min. Add maple syrup and reduce to a glaze. Add cider vinegar, simmer for 2 min., and add remaining ingredients except mustard. Simmer 40-50 min. until thickened. Add mustard and strain.
2. To prepare ratatouille, season eggplant, brush with olive oil, grill until tender, cut into 1⁄2-in. dice. Cut smoked tomatoes in half and reserve juice.
3. In a large hot pan, sauté the vegetables (except smoked tomato) separately, combine all the sauté vegetables with the eggplant, tomato, and reserved tomato juice. Bake in 325° F. oven for 20 min. Add herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Season fillet and grill to desired temperature on wood grill.
5. Brush with maple glaze. Mount salmon on mashed potatoes and arrange ratatouille around plate.