Source: Shari’s Café and Pies, Beaverton, Ore.
Shari’s, a family-dining chain known for its homestyle menu, features a variety of burgers and sandwiches for lunch and dinner. This item jumps on the pretzel-bun trend, generously stuffing it with a beef burger, pastrami, Swiss cheese and pickle slices. At service, Chef Bechtel suggests offsetting the top of the bun so the burger “is smiling at you,” showing off its ingredients.
1 ground beef patty (6 oz.)
Montreal steak seasoning, to taste
1 pretzel bun
2 oz. pastrami
1 oz. Swiss cheese
1-2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- Place beef patty on broiler; sprinkle with steak seasoning. Cook until juices purge through; turn burger, season second side and continue cooking until of desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, split pretzel bun and lightly butter. Grill bun until toasted.
- Place pastrami in a piece of patty paper and steam lightly. Turn once and add Swiss. Heat until cheese melts.
- Drizzle mustard on both top and bottom of bun. Place cooked patty on bottom bun; add pastrami and Swiss cheese. Top with pickle chips.
- Spray outer surface of top bun lightly with water and sprinkle with pretzel salt. Place over burger and serve.