Source: Chef Marcos Sanchez and the National Turkey Federation
Adding salsas, dipping sauces and garnishes to the plate puts an uptown spin on barbequed foods. Chef Sanchez skewers turkey breast—a leaner alternative to traditional pork and beef—and brushes the meat with spicy BBQ sauce before grilling. Colorful fruit salsa and a creamy yogurt dressing complete the dish.
Cucumber Mint Dressing
4 limes, juiced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
2 cups sour cream
1 cup sliced green onions, whites and green tops
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, with stems
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2 cups grated cucumber
1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
Tropical Fruit Salsa
1 pt. diced fresh mango
1 pt. diced fresh pineapple
1 pt. diced fresh red papaya
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
BBQ Turkey Skewers
12 lb. boneless turkey breast, skin removed
2 oz. commercially prepared 30-spice BBQ sauce
6 qt. spring mesclun mix, cold
1 1/2 qt. commercially prepared Honey Chipotle Dressing
- Prepare Cucumber Mint Dressing: In med. bowl, mix lime juice with sugar, salt and peppers. Whisk until dissolved.
- Add yogurt and remaining ingredients; mix well with rubber spatula.
- Transfer to clean, covered container. Refrigerate and hold for service.
- Prepare Tropical Fruit Salsa: Toss fruit with lime juice in large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and cilantro; combine thoroughly.
- Transfer into a clean, covered storage container and refrigerate. Hold for service.
- Prepare BBQ Turkey Skewers: Cut turkey breast into 2-oz. strips. Thread strips onto wooden skewers.
- Per order: brush turkey skewers with BBQ sauce and grill over med. heat until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Brush with additional sauce as skewers are removed from the grill.
- For service: mound 1 cup greens in center of square plate. Place 1-oz portion of tropical salsa at opposite corner of plate. Place 1-oz portion of cucumber mint sauce at remaining corner. Squirt honey chipotle dressing atop greens. Position 4 turkey skewers in a stacked tee-pee fashion atop greens.