Black-Eyed Pea and Spinach Salad
|Ingredients||Vegetables, Nuts, Meat, Fruits|
|Day Part||Lunch, Dinner|
Scrumptious black-eyed peas and sugar coated pecans give this spinach salad great texture and flavor. A spicy bacon dressing adds a nice finishing touch.
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
1⁄2 cup water
2 cups Georgia pecan halves
2 tbsp. orange juice
Rind of 2 oranges, grated
8 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
4 red onions, thinly sliced
1 cup red wine vinegar
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
1⁄2 cup water
1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 cups black-eyed peas, cooked, drained
20 oz. spinach, cleaned, trimmed
4 cups cucumber, thinly sliced
- For pecans: In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water until mixture boils. Cook, stirring until syrup reaches 240° F. on a candy thermometer.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in pecans, orange juice, and grated rind. Stir until mixture begins to look grainy, then spread on waxed paper to cool.
- In a skillet over medium heat, fry bacon; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon and reserve.
- To hot bacon fat, add onion and sauté 4 min. Add vinegar, oil, water, brown sugar, and pepper sauce. Season to taste.
- Bring mixture to a boil, scraping pan; reduce mixture by half.
- In a large bowl, combine peas and bacon dressing; toss. Cover and chill.
To serve, arrange spinach on a plate, drain peas and mound on top. Garnish with bacon, pecans, and cucumber. Serve.