Source: Chef David Fisher American Express/Compass Group in Greensboro, NC Courtesy of U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council
Fresh blueberries will soon be at their seasonal peak. Here’s a way to serve up these nutritious blue beauties in a savory application instead of the traditional dessert or sweet.
2 tsp. oil
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
Salt, to taste
1 1/2 cup half-and-half
1 cup crème fraiche
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- Heat oil over med.-low heat in a 4-qt. saucepan. Add shallots; cook until translucent. Add blueberries, stock, nutmeg and allspice; cook over med.-high heat until blueberries soften and begin to burst, 5 to 7 min. Cool slightly.
- Pour mixture into blender container; blend until smooth. Press soup through fine sieve; discard solids.
- Return blueberry mixture to pan and whisk in half-and-half. Simmer, stirring often, 5 to 7 min. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- In a small bowl, mix crème fraiche and chives.
- For service: Spoon bisque into 8 soup bowls and top each with 2 tbsp. chive-crème fraiche.