Crisp and golden waffles are made of a batter full of pecans and flavored with bourbon. Topped by syrup that is also flavored by pecans and bourbon this is a decadent treat.
1/2 lb. butter
1 cup pecan halves
1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup bourbon
Nonstick cooking spray
2 eggs, separated
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp. sugar
1/4 lb. butter, melted
1/2 cup bourbon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup crème fraîche (for garnish)
- Prepare syrup: Melt butter over med. heat in a 10-in. skillet; add pecans and cook for 3 min., stirring constantly, until pecans are well toasted and lightly colored.
- Pour in maple syrup as butter begins to foam. Remove skillet from heat and carefully add bourbon.
- Return to heat and cook for 1 more min. Syrup may be made well in advance and rewarmed before serving.
- For waffles: Spray a waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray and preheat it. Preheat oven to 200°F.
- In a mixing bowl, whip egg whites to medium-stiff peaks. Combine egg yolks, flour, pecans, sugar, butter, bourbon, vanilla, baking powder, and buttermilk in a food processor and mix until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and fold in egg whites.
- With a ladle, fill waffle iron with batter and cook until waffle is golden brown, about 8 min. Place waffle on a wire rack on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat until all batter is used.
- Serve waffles with pecan-butter syrup and a dollop of crème fraîche.