|Ingredients||Potatoes, Vegetables, Dairy, Meat|
|Day Part||Dinner, Lunch|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Source: The Beef Checkoff
In this twist on Québec’s infamous culinary contribution, crispy potatoes are topped with a touch of cheese sauce and tender boneless country-style beef ribs are braised in their own rich gravy. Think small plate or entrée, bar snack or shared app.
12 lb. boneless country-style beef chuck ribs
2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. ground pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
6 cups diced onion
4 cups diced celery
4 cups diced carrots
1/4 cup chopped garlic
2 cups dry red wine
8 cups beef stock
1/2 cup tomato paste
3 cups canned tomatoes, not drained
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water
4 oz. unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
24 oz. coarsely chopped cheddar cheese curds
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
48 cups French fries, prepared
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
120 micro parsley sprigs
- Prepare Braised Beef: Season beef with salt and pepper. In braising pan, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove beef and set aside.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook 3 to 5 min. Add wine; simmer until reduced by half.
- Add remaining ingredients except cornstarch and water and bring to a simmer. Cover; braise in 325°F oven for 1-3/4 to 2 hr. or until beef is tender.
- Cool; remove beef from pan and cut into 1-in. pieces.
- Strain and skim fat from braising liquid. Bring to a boil and reduce to 8 cups.
- Combine cornstarch and water. Add mixture to reduced liquid and simmer until thickened. Season to taste.
- Prepare Cheese Sauce: Melt butter in large saucepan. Add flour and whisk 2-3 min over low heat. Slowly whisk in milk and simmer until thickened.
- Add remaining ingredients; stir gently until cheese curds melt. Keep warm or reheat as needed.
- For each serving: Heat 3/4 cup beef in 1/3 cup gravy. Place 2 cups French fries in bowl; spoon 1/4 cup cheese sauce on top. Spoon beef and gravy over cheese sauce and garnish with shredded cheese and 5 sprigs parsley.