A short rib so tender the meat falls off the bone. Slow cooking in an aromatic stock is responsible for the full-bodied flavor.
2 tbsp. olive oil
6 lb. meaty beef short ribs
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 cups dry red wine
2 cups beef stock
4 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in large, ovenproof pot. Dust ribs with flour; brown in batches. Remove ribs and reserve.
2. In 2 tbsp. drippings, sauté onion, carrots, and celery 10 min. over med. heat, or until soft. Add wine and broth and bring to a boil; add thyme, bay leaf, and ribs. (Ribs should be covered by liquid; if not, add more stock or water to cover.)
3. Cover pot tightly and transfer to oven. Cook 3 hr. or until ribs are very tender; remove and keep warm.
4. Strain braising liquid and return to pot; cook until reduced and thickened.
5. Serve ribs over bean ragoût topped with braising jus.