Source: Chef Hinnerk von Bargen, Associate Professor in Culinary Arts
A great sauce and a little creativity can take a simple treat to the next level of culinary excitement. Hit one out of the ballpark with our Buffalo Wing Spicy Sausage Dogs, the Italian-inspired cousin of the American classic.
1.5 oz. Olive Oil
4, 4 oz. links Sweet Italian-style sausage links
8 oz. Onions, sliced
8 oz. Red peppers, roasted, sliced
¼ tsp. Oregano, dry
1.5 oz. Water
½ oz. Light brown sugar
Salt and pepper – To taste
4 Hoagie rolls, plain, not too soft
2.5 oz. Basil pesto
2 oz. Mozzarella cheese, grated
1. In medium-hot skillet, sear Italian-style sausage in olive oil until well browned on all sides. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
2. In same skillet, sweat onions over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, until tender and slightly caramelized.
3. Add sliced roasted peppers, Heinz® Buffalo Wing Sauce, oregano and water. Add brown sugar and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
4. Return sausages to pan and cover with lid. Over low heat, cook for about 5 minutes until sausage is cooked through.
5. Spread hoagie rolls with basil pesto and toast until lightly crispy.
6. Place sausage in hoagie rolls and cover with onion-pepper mix.
7. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and serve.