|Ingredients||Berries, Beverage Alcohol, Fruits|
A shrub is a mixture of fruit, vinegar and sugar that when cooked, results in a sweet yet tart syrup used to brighten up drinks. In the late 1800s, shrubs were added to water or carbonated sodas and consumed as a way to beat the heat. Here, Bartender Steven Yamada has used an apple/cranberry shrub to liven up a hot toddy and chase the cold away.
1 1/2 oz. Catdaddy Moonshine
3/4 oz. Apple/Cranberry Shrub
2 oz. hot sweetened white tea
3 cups cranberries
1 cup Granny Smith apples
2 cups sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients. Stir.
- Muddle cranberries, apple and sugar in a large mason jar. Let sit for 24 hours.
- Add apple cider vinegar, stirring to incorporate all ingredients.
- Let rest for a week and shake periodically.
- Strain, filter and bottle.