This soup is a real delight. A light, fresh taste from the lime and herbs, just the right amount of zing from the chilies, and all tied together with creamy coconut milk. So good!
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
2, 14-oz. cans unsweetened coconut milk
4 tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. black peppercorns
4 jalapeño chilies, seeded and minced
1 whole chicken breast with skin and bones (about 1 lb.)
1⁄2 lb. dried rice noodles
2 lb. wood ear mushrooms
6 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
6 tbsp. Asian fish sauce
2 lb. shrimp, shelled and deveined
1⁄2 cup fresh chopped mixture of cilantro, basil, and mint, for garnish
1⁄2 cup fried shallots, for garnish
- In a heavy saucepan, bring chicken broth, water, coconut milk, curry powder, peppercorns, and chilies to simmer over medium heat.
- Add chicken and poach at a bare simmer for 20 min. or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a bowl and let cool, keeping the soup warm.
- Soak noodles in warm water for 5 min. Drain and cook in salted boiling water, cook for 5 min. Drain noodles, rinse well.
- Discard skin and bones from chicken and shred meat, stirring it back into the soup. Add mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce and return soup to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for five more min.
- To serve, divide noodles among eight bowls and ladle soup over them. Sprinkle with fresh chopped herbs, fried shallots and serve.