In this break from the traditional recipe, Jack cheese, smoked turkey and thinly sliced chorizo is combined with red onion, roasted red pepper and sour pickles before toasting in a garlic buttered roll.
1⁄4 lb. butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 (6 in.) hero or club rolls, split
1 lb. sliced Jack cheese
1 lb. sliced smoked turkey
1 lb. chorizo, thinly sliced
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper strips
4 sour pickles, thinly sliced
1. Melt butter in large skillet and add garlic. Cook over low heat until garlic is soft.
2. Lightly brush insides of each roll with garlic butter. Layer cheese on all roll halves; evenly divide turkey and chorizo over cheese on half the rolls. Top with onion slices, peppers, and pickles.
3. Sandwich roll halves together and brush tops with garlic butter.
4. Heat the same skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cover with foil. Place a heavy skillet or two heavy cans on top to weight sandwiches down.
5. Cook sandwiches 6-8 min per side, until golden brown and cheese melts, keeping the weight on top to press down and flatten them as they cook.