Source: Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Dollops of Wisconsin ricotta and shredded cumin gouda complement the bold flavors of caramelized onions, eggplant and lamb in this decadent flatbread recipe.
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. olive oil
2 Japanese eggplants
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, quartered, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 lb. ground lamb
3 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 cup Wisconsin ricotta cheese
2 cups (8 oz.) Wisconsin cumin gouda cheese*, shredded
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Flatbread: Place water, 1 tablespoon sugar and yeast in large cup. Mix and let stand until foamy. Place flour and 1 teaspoon salt in food processor. Add foamy yeast mixture and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Process until dough forms a ball. Place dough in buttered bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in warm spot to rise until doubled.
- Filling: Place eggplant over stovetop gas flame. Turn until all skin is blackened. Remove skin (eggplant should be tender). Chop eggplant and mix with lemon zest, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook onion in small skillet with oil, butter and 1/2 teaspoon sugar until golden brown and tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Mix lamb in medium bowl with paprika, onion powder, garlic and salt. Do not overmix.
- Final Preparation: Heat oven to 450° to 475°F. Divide dough in quarters. Roll each quarter on floured work surface to 1/8-inch thickness (about 10x10-inches). Place on baking sheet. Brush dough with olive oil. Using 1/4 of filling ingredients for each flatbread, evenly distribute caramelized onions, eggplant, small dollops of ricotta, gouda and teaspoon-size lumps of lamb mixture over dough. (Do not overfill – flatbread will become soggy.)
- Bake 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown, cheese is melted and lamb is thoroughly cooked. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired, and season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro. Cut each into 4 sections.
These can also be cooked on a grill.