This southern style fish and chips is a tasty treat. Cornmeal breading on the fish and pickles makes this meal authentic.
Vegetable oil for frying
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. chopped, drained capers
1 tbsp. finely chopped chives
1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
1⁄2 cup flour
1⁄2 tsp. black pepper
3⁄4-1 cup beer
l lb. catfish fillet strips (2-in.)
4 dill pickles, thickly sliced
1 lb. potatoes cut in 1⁄2-in. wedge
Prepared rémoulade sauce, as needed
1. Heat 2 in. oil in skillet until temperature reaches 365°F.
2. Combine mayonnaise, mustard, capers, and chives for rémoulade sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Whisk cornmeal, flour, pepper, salt to taste, and beer in a shallow bowl to form a smooth batter. Dip fish in batter, coating all sides; set aside. Coat pickle slices with remaining batter; set aside.
4. Fry potatoes, fish, and pickles separately in hot oil until golden and crisp.
5. Serve fish, chips, and pickles with rémoulade sauce.