Fresh fruit fritters prepared with apples, banana chunks, pineapple or your own favorite fruits and served with yogurt dip make a refreshing treat.
2 cups fresh mint leaves
6 oz. sugar
2 lb. yogurt
2 tbsp. honey
1⁄4 tsp. ground cardamom
1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 cups tempura batter mix
3 cups ice water
24 (1-in.) cubes pineapple
24 (1-in.) pieces banana
24 peeled apple wedges
1 lb. 2 oz. panko crumbs
- Bring 2 qt. water to boil; add mint and blanch 5 sec. Remove; cool, drain, and dry.
- Simmer sugar and 1⁄2 cup water until syrup is clear; cool.
- Puree mint and syrup; let stand 10 min.; strain and chill.
- Place yogurt in paperlined strainer; drain 3 hr. Stir honey and spices into yogurt.
- Stir tempura batter mix into ice water. Heat oil in fryer.
- To order: dip pineapple, banana, and apple into tempura batter, then into panko. Deep-fry in 360° F oil 2-3 min.; drain.
Per serving: Place 2 tbsp. yogurt dip in center of plate; arrange fritters on top. Drizzle with 11⁄2 tsp. mint syrup.