Source: Brian McPherson, Executive Chef, The Grill at Morrison House, Alexandria, Va.
Silky on the palate and vibrantly flavored, this garden-inspired gaspacho is presented at the table in a rustic French cast iron vessel and poured into a bowl prepped with a scoop of housemade Sea Salt Ice Cream and a dab of Green Tomato Jam. A chunk of rustic grilled baguette and a sprig of basil from the hotel’s rooftop garden complete the effect.
6 cups fresh garden tomatoes, halved
3 cups red onions, coarsely chopped
3 cups red peppers, coarsely chopped
4 cups English cucumbers, cut in 1-inch chunks
3 cups mixed heirloom tomatoes, halved
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. Tabasco
3 tbsp. sherry vinegar
2 cups extra virgin olive oil, organic
3 tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
3 sprigs thyme, fresh
1 bunch basil, fresh
To taste salt
- Combine tomatoes, onion, peppers, cucumbers, garlic, herbs, Tabasco and salt in a bucket. Blend ingredients well with large immersion blender until well liquefied. While blending, slowly add olive oil into the mixture until it is smooth and creamy. (Optional: one day in advance, chop the vegetables and marinate them overnight refrigerated with olive oil, sherry vinegar and lemon juice. Blend as directed the following day.)
- Transfer mixture in small batches to blender and puree on high for one minute.
- Pass mixture through chinois.
- Add vinegar and lemon juice, adjust seasoning.
- Refrigerate in airtight plastic container.
- Label and date the container.