Whole chickens are seared and roasted, then slathered with fragrant, nutty roasted garlic puree. Serve with rosemary, garlic and tomato orzo pasta.
8 heads garlic
2 chickens (each 3 lb.), quartered, thigh bone removed
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup orzo
1⁄4 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
1 1⁄2 cups dark chicken stock
12 oven-roasted tomato halves
4 tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Wrap garlic heads in foil. Roast 35 min., or until soft; cool. Squeeze out roasted cloves. Transfer half the garlic to food processor and puree. Reserve remaining whole cloves.
- Raise oven to 350°F. Salt and pepper chicken.
- Heat 1⁄2 tbsp. oil until hot. Add 4 chicken quarters; sear until golden. Transfer to baking pan. Sear remaining chicken. Roast chicken 11⁄4-11⁄2 hr., until thigh registers 180°F.
- Raise oven to 400°F. Slather pureed garlic on chicken; roast 5 min. more, until browned. Let rest 10 min.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; stir in orzo. Cook al dente; drain. Toss with rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Place pan from chicken over med. heat. Add stock, scraping up browned bits; reduce slightly. Add roasted garlic cloves, tomatoes, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. For service, top orzo with chicken and sauce.