Gluten-Free Turkey Pot Pie with Cheesy Biscuit Topping
|Ingredients||Vegetables, Poultry, Cheese, Dairy|
Source: Cinderella’s Royal Table, Magic Kingdom Park, Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
Through trial and error, Chef Charles Dolson found that 7/8 cup rice flour substitutes well for 1 cup all-purpose flour in the biscuit crust. “The rice flour has a more grainy texture, so the filling requires a longer time to cook the flour out. But in the end, the difference is indiscernible,” he says. Chopped fresh sage and thyme season the turkey-vegetable filling.
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup plus 2 cups rice flour, divided
4 cups vegetable stock
5 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite-size cubes
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp. chopped fresh sage
Cheesy Biscuit Topping
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
6 tbsp. (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup coarsely shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare Turkey Filling: Heat oil in a large skillet over med.-low heat; add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook until vegetables are softened and onions are translucent, about 8 min.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup rice flour and cook 2 min. more. Raise heat to high; whisk in vegetable stock. When mixture simmers, add turkey, pepper, thyme and sage; simmer until thickened, 2 to 3 min.
- Prepare Cheesy Biscuit Topping: Combine remaining 2 cups rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add butter, cheddar and Parmesan; pulse 4 or 5 times for 2 sec. each time, until butter is in pea-size pieces. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in enough cream until dough holds together. (You may not use all of the cream.)
- Pat or roll dough to 1-in. thickness on a lightly floured surface. Trim edges and cut into 6 squares.
- Divide turkey mixture among 6 individual oven-safe dishes or ladle into one med. oven-safe casserole dish. Top each individual dish with one biscuit, or top larger casserole dish with all biscuits, leaving a half-inch space between each biscuit.
- Place casserole dish(es) on a baking sheet. Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 23 to 25 min.