Source: Executive Chef Dora Avila-Barker, McCormick & Schmick’s
McCormick & Schmick’s, a 74-unit, upscale-casual chain that’s a subsidiary of Houston-based Landry’s, Inc., uses a variety of toppings, additions and crusting techniques to create pleasing textures and flavor nuances in dishes such as Green Kale Salad with Toasted Almonds and Yuzu Vinaigrette. “Adding snap or crunch to food is simply an enhancement of a good product,” declares Rene van Broekhuizen, McCormick & Schmick’s regional executive chef.
2 oz. kale, ribs removed, cut in fine strips
1 oz. romaine lettuce, cut in fine strips
1 oz. yuzu vinaigrette
1/2 Granny Smith apple, julienned
1/2 oz. dried cherries, reconstituted in water, drained
1/2 oz. manchego cheese, thinly sliced
1 oz. sliced, toasted almonds
6 oz. yuzu juice
2 oz. lemon juice
2 oz. lime juice
1 oz. basil
1/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups canola oil
- Toss the kale and romaine with the vinaigrette, apples and cherries.
- Plate in a stack in the center of the plate and sprinkle on the sliced almonds.
- Shave thin slices of manchego cheese on top of the salad with a vegetable peeler.
1. In small bowl, combine all ingredients except oil; whisk until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Slowly whisk in oil to emulsify.