|Ingredients||Poultry, Vegetables, Beans, Fruits|
|Day Part||Dinner, Lunch|
Source: Kendall College
This Asian-inspired salad sports grilled chicken, romaine lettuce, tart apples and fresh vegetables in a child-friendly format. Kids will enjoy the sound of biting into the crispy noodles, and a variety of colors and textures, sweet and sour flavors and hot and cold temperatures engage all the other senses.
1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. sriracha sauce (optional)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3 oz. each)
1 carrot, peeled and sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
2/3 cup English cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced into half moons
1 Granny Smith apple, sliced into thin matchsticks
2/3 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced into thin matchsticks
1/2 cup diagonally sliced celery
1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
11/2 cups crispy chow mein noodles
4 tbsp. chopped roasted cashews
- In med. bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, lime juice, sriracha sauce and oil for marinade.
- Place chicken breasts in container; pour one-third of the marinade over chicken; reserve remaining marinade for dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 min.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine carrot, cucumber, apple, bean sprouts, bell pepper and celery; set aside.
- Preheat grill to high. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and discard used marinade. Grill breasts 4 to 5 min. per side or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Place chicken on plate to cool slightly.
- When cool enough to touch, dice chicken breasts into 1/2-in. cubes. To bowl of vegetables, add lettuce, chicken, chow mein noodles, cashews and reserved unused marinade. Mix well to evenly distribute.
- To serve, divide salad equally among 4 med.-size bowls.