Grilled Maine Lobster with Green Pea Sauce and Spring Vegetable Risotto
Decadent truly describes this dish. Lobster on top of lobster, with enticing flavors and textures. Richly flavored and beautifully presented, a truly outstanding dish.
4 cups fresh peas, podded
1 1⁄4 cups onion, diced
Olive oil, as needed
1 cup vegetable stock
2 lemons, juice only
2 tbsp. shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 sprigs chervil, roughly chopped
5 11⁄4-lb. Maine lobsters
1⁄2 cup baby yellow squash, cut into 1⁄2-in. rounds
1⁄2 cup baby carrots, cut into 1⁄2-in. rounds
1⁄2 cup asparagus tips
2 tsp. olive oil
3⁄4 cup morel mushrooms,
1⁄4 cup cognac
1 cup arborio rice
2 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock, hot
3⁄4 cup white wine
2 tbsp. butter
2 oz. parmesan cheese, grated
5 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- In a pot, bring water to a boil and cook peas until tender; drain. Reserving 3⁄4 cup of peas, puree the remainder, then strain. In the same pot, sauté onions in oil until translucent. Add pureed peas. Stir in stock until the consistency is that of heavy cream; season to taste. Add whole peas and reserve warm.
- In a bowl, whisk together lemon juice, shallots, garlic and chervil. Season and reserve.
- In a large pot, steam lobsters for 3 min. and remove from water. Immediately plunge into ice water and allow to cool. Remove meat from the tail, knuckles and claws. Marinate meat in reserved mixture at least 30 min.
- Meanwhile, in a pot, bring water to a boil and briefly blanch squash, carrots and asparagus. Shock in ice water and reserve.
- In the same pot or a rondeau, sauté morels in oil until juices are released. Deglaze the pan with the cognac and reduce until liquid is nearly gone. Remove the morels from the pan.
- In the same pan, sauté remaining onion in oil until translucent. Add rice and cook, stirring, until aromatic. Add half the stock and stir constantly until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining stock and stir until absorbed. Gradually add wine, stirring, until rice is creamy but not runny. Stir in butter, parmesan and thyme. Gently fold in the reserved vegetables, morels and lobster knuckle meat. Reserve warm.
To order, grill lobster tails and claws on a medium-hot grill until done. Place 2⁄3 cup risotto on plate in a ring mold; remove ring and ladle 4 oz. green pea sauce around risotto. Top with a lobster tail and garnish with claws. Garnish further with additional parmesan and chervil, if desired.