This entrée is a mash-up of Thai ingredients and flavors with spicy condiments from several Asian cultures. A wasabi-soy gastrique is enhanced by pickled ginger, while green curry paste spikes the accompanying Napa cabbage slaw. The result is a multi-layered dish that packs a punch.
9 cups sugar
1 cup pickled ginger, drained
6 oz. pickled ginger juice
2 qt. lower sodium soy sauce
10 tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup water
2 cups wasabi powder
2 cups water
1 lb. purple Thai rice, cooked
1 cup shaved celery
1 cup julienned scallions
1 cup julienned shiitake mushrooms
1 cup minced carrots
Sesame oil, for stir frying
Lower sodium soy sauce
1 head Napa cabbage, julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 green bell pepper, julienned
1 red onion, shaved
1 bunch fresh cilantro, minced
Mayonnaise, for binding
Green curry paste, to taste
Lower sodium soy sauce, to taste
Fresh lime juice, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 lb. boneless, skinless Tasmanian salmon fillets
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare Wasabi Soy Gastrique: Remove ribbons of peel from each orange; juice oranges and reserve peel and juice. In large saucepot, melt sugar over low heat until smooth and lightly caramelized, stirring often. Stir in orange peel; cook 4 minutes.
- Add orange juice and ginger juice; cook 5 minutes longer. Add soy sauce; bring to a boil and simmer 8 minutes. Pulse four times with immersion blender; strain through mesh sieve into another saucepot.
- Prepare Slurry: In bowl, stir cornstarch and water until smooth. Add slurry to gastrique in saucepot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir until thickened.
- Meanwhile, prepare Wasabi Paste by combining wasabi powder and water until blended. Stir Wasabi Paste into saucepot until well mixed.
- Prepare Purple Rice: In large bowl, combine cooked rice, celery, scallions, shiitakes and carrots; set aside.
- Prepare Napa Slaw: In large bowl, combine cabbage, peppers, red onion and cilantro. Mix mayonnaise, green curry paste, soy sauce, lime juice and pepper to taste; add enough to coat the cabbage mixture and bind it.
- Per order: Season salmon portion with salt and pepper. Stir-fry a portion of the rice in sesame oil and deglaze the pan with 75 percent miso broth and 25 percent soy sauce; keep warm. Grill salmon to desired doneness and place over rice. Top the fish with a generous 2 tbsp. slaw; drizzle Soy Gastrique around fish.