A delicate little dish that scores big in both flavor and presentation. Fresh herbs are a must in order to fully balance the strong flavors of the cheese and balsamic vinegar.
1 tbsp. chopped basil
1 tbsp. chopped thyme leaves
1 tbsp. chopped rosemary leaves,
2 cups heavy cream
4 oz. Gruyère, shredded (l cup)
1⁄4 cup crumbled creamy Gorgonzola cheese
Salt and fresh pepper, to taste
1 lb. phyllo dough
4 oz. melted clarified butter
Black walnut and Gala apple salad:
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup aged Balsamic vinegar
Sugar in the raw to taste
12 ounces mixed baby salad greens
1/4 cup black walnuts
3 Gala apples, cored and finely sliced
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Mix herbs, eggs, and cream until smooth. Stir in cheeses. Season with salt and pepper; chill.
2. Trim 1⁄4 in. off ends of phyllo roll. Unroll dough; cover with towel to prevent drying.
3. Spread flat one layer of phyllo; brush with some butter. Repeat layering phyllo and butter to make four layers. (Refrigerate remaining phyllo.) Cut out twelve 4-in. phyllo squares; place each square into a muffin cup, shaping to fit.
4. Fill cups 2⁄3 full with cheese mixture. Bake until custard sets; cool slightly.
1. In a bowl, mix extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Turbinado sugar for salad dressing. Blend well.
2. Toss the greens, walnuts and apple slices with the dressing.
3. Plate salad with tarts.