Filled with multiple veggies, this benedict is healthy and full of flavor. This recipe makes for a great healthy dish for breakfast or brunch.
1 pt. heirloom cherry tomatoes
Rice oil or grapeseed oil
8 tomatillos, husked and washed
1 yellow onion
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 large eggs
2 avocados, peeled and sliced
2 oz. cilantro shoots or sprigs
- Toss cherry tomatoes with 1 tbsp. rice oil and pinch of kosher salt. Spread tomatoes on baking sheet; char under broiler for 2 to 3 min., shaking pan once or twice, until blistered. Set aside.
- Toss tomatillos, onion and jalapeño with rice oil, 2 tsp. salt and pepper; transfer to baking sheet. Place under broiler for 5 to 7 min., shaking pan.
- For salsa verde, transfer ingredients to blender; add ½ bunch cilantro and puree. With blender running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Remove and mix in lime juice and zest by hand. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In med. saucepan, bring 4 cups water, vinegar and pinch kosher salt to a simmer. Stir water and crack eggs into saucepan. Poach to desired doneness and remove from water.
- To serve, ladle 4 oz. salsa verde on two plates. Fan out avocado slices and place 6 to 8 charred tomatoes on plate. Place the poached egg in avocado fan; ladle more salsa verde on top. Garnish with cilantro shoots.