Maine Lobster takes center stage in this show-stopping dish. Tail meat and lobster stock are wrapped in fresh pasta sheets and tied off with chives before roasting. Served with extra sauce and a whole lobster claw.
2 Maine lobsters, 1 1⁄4 lb. each
1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and pepper
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄2 yellow onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. brandy
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups water
Basic fresh pasta dough
8 long fresh chives, blanched
2 1⁄2 cups seafood stock
2 tbsp. tarragon oil
- Cook and shell lobsters; reserve shells. Toss lobster tail meat with 1⁄4 cup olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- For sauce: heat oil in large saucepan. Break lobster shells into pieces; sauté in pan 5 min. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and salt; cook 15-20 min., until caramelized. Stir in tomato paste, brandy and wine; stir to scrape up browned bits. Add water; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to med.-low; cook 1 hr., or until reduced by half. Strain sauce into clean pot; reserve.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Roll out pasta dough into 2 thin sheets; cut each sheet into two 6-in. squares; let dry 5 min.
- Cook pasta in boiling water 30 sec. Plunge into ice water to stop cooking; pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide lobster tail meat among pasta squares; form into bundles using 2 chives for each.
- Arrange bundles in nonstick roasting pan; pour in poaching liquid. Cover with lightly oiled foil. Bake 15-20 min., until tender and heated through. Add lobster claws to seafood stock; heat through.
- Reheat lobster sauce. For service, ladle 1⁄4 cup sauce onto each of 4 warmed plates. Put a lobster bundle on each plate; place a whole lobster claw next to pasta and garnish plates with tarragon oil.