Source: The Honey Board
This pork roast hits all the flavor hot buttons today’s restaurant customers are seeking. Herbs, spices and garlic add savory notes, while the honey offers a sweet, mellow contrast. The adobo, enhanced by two types of chilies, provides just the right touch of heat and spice, and the balsamic honey sauce finishes off the dish with a balance of sweetness and acidity.
6 lb. pork loin roast, boned, rolled and tied
3 cups clover honey, divided
1/2 cup chopped herbs (basil, thyme, oregano)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup crushed coriander seeds
Kosher salt, as needed
Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Adobo Sauce (recipe follows)
Balsamic-Honey Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Untie pork loin; separate into two pieces. Combine 1 cup honey, herbs and garlic; rub on inside of one piece. Top with remaining piece of pork loin; retie pieces together.
- Rub all sides of pork loin roast with crushed coriander, salt and pepper. Roast 1 to 1½ hr. until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Meanwhile, prepare Adobo Sauce and Balsamic-Honey Sauce.
- Remove roast from oven; brush with remaining honey. Return to oven for 10 min.
- To order, slice 1-in. thick pieces from roast (about 6-oz. per serving). Spoon about 2/3 cup Adobo Sauce on each plate. Garnish with fresh herb spring and drizzle with Balsamic-Honey Sauce. Serve warm.
1 qt. chicken stock
8 med. tomatoes, quartered
1 med. yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 ancho chilies, reconstituted and pureed
3 chipotle chilies, reconstituted and pureed
3 tbsp. ground cumin
3 tbsp. tomato paste
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
Kosher salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot; bring to a slow boil. Simmer 20 min; puree. Adjust seasoning and consistency, if necessary. Strain sauce and reserve. Yields 1 qt.
4 cups honey
4 cups balsamic vinegar
Heat honey and vinegar to boiling; reduce heat and cook until mixture becomes syrupy. Cool; reserve. Yields 1 qt.