Source: National Honey Board
The subtle sweetness of honey sets this dessert apart. Use your favorite varietal, sourcing locally, if possible.
1 qt. milk
2.8 oz. flour
7 oz. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
18 oz. honey
1.5 oz. cornstarch
12 oz. apricot nectar or other fruit juice
3 oz. lemon juice
1 oz. liqueur compatible with fruit
24 baked tart shells (3-in. size)
2 qt. strawberries, sliced
Mint sprigs and orange peel spirals, for garnish
- Prepare pastry cream: In saucepan, whisk together milk, eggs, sugar and flour until thoroughly mixed. Place over med. Heat and cook until thickened, whisking at 3 min. intervals. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Prepare glaze: In top of double boiler, heat honey over simmering water. Dissolve cornstarch in nectar; stir into honey. Cook and stir until thickened and clear.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and liqueur.
- Brush tart shells with a little glaze. Fill each shell with 2 oz. pastry cream. Coat with more glaze and chill briefly to harden glaze.
- Arrange 1/3 cup sliced berries on tarts; coat fruit with more glaze. Garnish with mint and orange peel. Refrigerate until service.