Although beef is still number one among burger eaters, Technomic’s Burger Consumer Trend Report found that Americans would like a little diversity between the buns. Lamb has made its way onto many menus and this lamb burger with lemon-rosemary aioli is one to try.
1 small eggplant, cut crosswise into 4 slices
1 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
1 1/2 lb. ground lamb
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1/8 tsp. black pepper
4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and sliced
2 tbsp. olive oil
4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
Lemon-Rosemary Aioli (below)
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- On baking sheet, place eggplant in single layer. Sprinkle both sides of slices with 1 tsp. salt; set aside.
- In med. bowl, combine lamb, garlic, remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper. Lightly shape into 4 thick patties.
- Rinse eggplant; pat dry. Brush eggplant slices and tomato slices with oil.
- On grill, cook eggplant and tomato, covered, over med. indirect heat 14 to 16 min. Cook lamb patties, covered, over direct heat 7 to 9 min., turning once.
- Spread 1 tsp. aioli on top buns and 2 tsp. on bottoms; top with burger, eggplant slice and two tomato slices.
- Combine all ingredients; mix well and refrigerate.