Source: Dole Foodservice
Pork is a natural carrier for Hispanic flavors and ingredients—and fruit makes the perfect counterpoint. Here, Chef Perez adds a bit of spice to apples and cranberries to bring a lively Latin accent to an all-American condiment for pork.
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tbsp. cumin seed
2 lb. boneless pork loin
3 tbsp. butter or margarine
2 cups thinly sliced red onion
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup orange juice
2-3 tsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotle chilies
1 1/2 cups fresh frozen apple slices, thawed
1/2 cup fresh frozen cranberries, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine chili powder and cumin seed in small bowl. Coat pork with chili mixture and place pork in small roasting pan.
- Roast pork for 1 hr. 15 min., or until meat thermometer reaches 150°F. internal temperature.
- To make apple cranberry sauce, melt butter in large skillet. Add onion and saute over med. heat until lightly browned.
- Stir in apple and orange juices and adobo sauce. Bring to boil; simmer 5 min. Add apples and cranberries; simmer 5 min. more.
- To serve, slice pork and serve with apple cranberry sauce.