Source: Jeff Rossman; California Avocado Commission
California has been growing avocados commercially since the early 1900s, and today is the leading producer of domestic avocados. Incorporating California avocados into a dish gives it an instant California accent. Chef Rossman purees the popular Hass variety into a chimichurri sauce along with roasted poblano peppers and cilantro to punch up a marinated flank steak.
1 cup lemon-avocado oil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 lb. flank steak
Salt and pepper, to taste
For Chimichurri Sauce
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch Italian parsley
1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 cup lime juice
2 roasted poblano peppers
2 fresh, ripe California avocados, diced
1 tsp. red chile flakes
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup olive oil
- Prepare Marinade: In large mixing bowl, combine oil, lemon juice and cilantro.
- Add flank steak and salt and pepper to taste; marinate overnight.
- Prepare Chimichurri Sauce: In blender, combine all ingredients except the oil.
- While blender is running, slowly add oil; blend until smooth. Reserve for service.
- For service, Grill steaks to desired temperature. Slice against the grain and portion onto plates. Serve with Chimichurri Sauce.
A large, fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.