An Asian inspired chicken soup, well-flavored with lemongrass and ginger. The chow fun noodles and napa cabbage add a great touch.
6 cups water
6 cups chicken stock
2 stalks lemongrass, peeled, sliced into 1-in. pieces
3-in. piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced in 1⁄4-in. thick rounds
4 whole chicken breasts, skinned
2 cups carrots, shredded
2 cups napa cabbage, shredded
4 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
4 cups watercress, trimmed
2 red jalapeños, seeded, thinly sliced
1 lb. chow fun noodles, cooked, sliced 3⁄4-in. thick
Mint, basil, and cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Hot chile oil, for garnish (optional)
1. In a large pot, combine water, stock, lemongrass, ginger and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 30-40 min. until chicken is cooked through.
2. Remove chicken from broth, cool slightly, remove meat from bone and shred; reserve.
3. Strain and skim broth; return to pot and bring to a boil; reduce slightly. Add carrots, cover and cook 2 min. Reduce to a simmer and add cabbage, scallion, watercress, jalapeño and chow fun noodles; season to taste.
4. Add shredded chicken to pot and heat through.
5. Serve in bowls garnished with fresh herbs and chile oil, if desired.