Maytag Blue Cheese & Apricot Tart with Sauternes Gelée
This blue cheese tart is an epicurean delight. Served with carmelized shallots and wine gelatin it's flavors are captivating.
325 ml (1 1/2 cups) Sauternes
1/2 cup minced dried apricots
3 sheets gelatin, bloomed
1/2 cup simple syrup
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
3 tbsp. fresh basil
1/2 tsp. pink peppercorn shells
10 oz. cream cheese dough
1 cup sliced shallots
1 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 large eggs
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup julienned dried apricots
1 1/2 cups crumbled Maytag blue cheese
6 tbsp. chopped toasted black walnuts
2 tbsp. chopped toasted black walnuts
2 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
- For the gelée: Line a 5-in. square dish with plastic wrap. Simmer wine in a saucepan over med. heat until reduced by half, about 15 min. Remove from heat and add apricots and gelatin. Stir until combined. Pour wine mixture into plastic- lined dish; refrigerate overnight. Once set, remove gelatin from mold and cut into large dice just prior to use.
- For syrup: Puree syrup, thyme, and basil in a blender until smooth. Refrigerate overnight. Pass through sieve lined with a coffee filter; add peppercorn shells. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For tart: preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness on a lightly floured surface. Line a 10-in. tart ring with dough and place on parchment-lined pan. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Sauté shallots in butter over med. heat for 10 min., or until golden brown and caramelized. Reserve 2 tbsp. shallots for garnish. Whisk cream, eggs, thyme and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread shallots on bottom of tart ring, sprinkle with apricots, blue cheese and nuts; pour cream mixture on top. Bake tart 45 min. or until golden brown. Cool slightly before removing from mold.
- Cut tart into 8 pieces and put 2 pieces on a plate. Sprinkle with remaining caramelized shallots and walnuts. Place 6-7 pieces of gelée around tart and drizzle syrup around plate. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and pepper.