Source: Chef Hinnerk von Bargen, Associate Professor in Culinary Arts
Smaller portions are big, with today’s adventurous guests seeking a variety of tastes at one sitting. Our Meatballs in Zesty Tomato Sauce are custom made to enjoy sharing with a companion...or make a great appetizer. A classic Italian-inspired treat spiced to perfection with classic Heinz 57® Sauce.
Beef and pork, ground – 16 oz., 8 oz. each
Breadcrumbs – 1 oz.
Eggs – 1
Tomato paste – 1 Tbsp.
Garlic, minced – 1 Tbsp.
Scallions, minced – 1 oz.
Thyme, chopped – 1 tsp.
Extra virgin olive oil – 2.5 oz.
Onions, small dice – 8 oz.
Garlic, sliced – 1 oz.
Canned tomatoes, with juice, crushed – 3 ½ cups
Heinz® 57® Sauce – 10 oz.
Sugar – ½ oz.
Scallions, sliced – 2 oz.
Parmesan cheese, very finely grated – 1 oz.
- In bowl, thoroughly mix together all ingredients for meatballs, except olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and shape mixture into 1.5-oz meatballs.
- Sauté meatballs in olive oil until well browned. Remove meatballs from skillet; set aside.
- Sweat onions in pan drippings for 5 minutes; add garlic and continue to sweat.
- Add tomatoes, Heinz® 57® Sauce and sugar; bring to a boil and simmer.
- Return meatballs to sauce and simmer. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.
- At service, add scallions and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Plate and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.