Tender, buttery dough and sweet preserves are the basis for this confection. Sweet yet light, they make a great dessert served on a pretty plate and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
8 oz. butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1⁄2 cups flour
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup jam or fruit preserves
1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg; stir in vanilla.
- Sift flour, salt, and cinnamon. Beat flour mixture into creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in walnuts. Chill dough for 30 min., or until firm.
- Divide dough in half; roll out on floured surface to 3⁄8-in. thickness. Cut out dough with small round cookie cutter, then stamp out a hole in center of half the cookie rounds; these will be the cookie tops. Chill.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place cookies on greased sheets. Bake 7-9 min. until firm to the touch and pale yellow. Cool on wire rack.
- Spread cookie bottoms with jam and sandwich with cookie tops. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.