|Ingredients||Eggs, Vegetables, Beans, Coffee|
|Day Part||Dinner, Lunch|
The complex flavors of Morocco shine in this burger, made with garbanzo beans, carrots and zucchini, spiced with cumin, coriander, cayenne and cinnamon, and topped with harissa mayonnaise.
1 tsp Cumin, seeds
2 cup Garbanzo Beans, drained, mashed
2 oz Zucchini, shredded & sauteed until almost dry
2 oz Carrots, shredded & sauteed until almost dry
2 oz Breadcrumbs, plain, whole wheat
2 tsp Lemon Zest, grated
0.5 tsp Salt
0.08 tbsp Coriander, ground
0.3 tsp Cayenne pepper
0.3 tsp Cinnamon, ground
1 pc Eggs, lightly beaten
4 x Hamburger buns, large whole wheat
4 leaf green leaf lettuce, optional
4 slices tomato, sliced, optional
4 tbsp Harissa Mayonnaise
- Place cumin seeds in small sauté pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until toasted and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly. Place seeds in mortar or small bowl; crush finely (or use coffee grinder to grind cumin seeds).
- In medium bowl, combine beans, zucchini, carrot, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, salt, coriander, pepper, cinnamon, cumin and egg until thoroughly mixed. Shape into 4 oz. patties. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Coat sauté pan lightly with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Fry patties until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes; turn and fry 2-3 minutes more. Alternatively, patties may be baked in a 400°F. oven for about 10 minutes.
- Spread cut sides of 1 bun evenly with 1 Tbsp. Harissa Mayonnaise. Place veggie burger on bottom of bun. Top with lettuce and tomato, if using. Replace top of bun; repeat to make 4 burgers. Serve immediately.
The African hot sauce harissa can vary in the intensity of its heat. Start with a lesser amount and increase as desired.