|Ingredients||Vegetables, Nuts, Bread|
|Day Part||Dinner, Lunch, Snack|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Source: California Endive
An array of savory spreads paired with wine and cocktails adds up to a tasty and enjoyable way to gather around the bar or restaurant table. Walnuts, roasted red peppers, chilies and spices ramp up the flavor of this Muhamarra Spread. Crisp, tangy endive spears make the perfect dippers.
6 oz. walnuts, broken and lightly toasted
1/2 cup crumbled whole wheat bread
12 oz. bottled roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and chopped
About 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. pomegranate molasses or paste
1 tbsp. fresh lemon or lime juice
1 tbsp. hot red pepper paste or ¼ tsp. ground red chilies
1 tsp. coarse salt
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. sugar, optional
3 heads California endive spears
3 tbsp. walnut oil, optional
- In food processor, process walnuts and bread until finely chopped.
- Add roasted red peppers and 1/4 cup olive oil; process until smooth.
- Add in pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, red pepper paste or chilies to taste, salt, cumin and sugar, if desired. Process until blended.
- Add additional olive oil, 1 tbsp. at a time, pulsing after each addition, until mixture is thick but easy to spread. Taste and adjust seasonings, using additional molasses, lemon juice and/or sugar, if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hr. or until ready to serve. Flavors will mellow as it stands.
- Per serving, plate 1/4 cup spread in a small ramekin; accompany with 4 to 5 spears California endive. Serve drizzled with 1 tsp. walnut oil, if desired.