|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Delectably seasoned portobello mushrooms are grilled and towered atop fried rice noodles. A colorful cabbage slaw adds to the mix of colors and textures in this delightful dish.
60 portobello mushrooms, cut in strips
3 qt. canola oil
6 oz. ginger, grated
6 oz. lemongrass, finely chopped
6 oz. garlic, minced
2 oz. shallots, diced
1⁄2 cup ginger, grated
2⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
1 1⁄3 cups canola oil
1⁄3 lb. Napa cabbage, shredded
1⁄3 lb. red cabbage, shredded
1⁄3 lb. green cabbage, shredded
1⁄3 lb. carrots, julienned
1⁄3 lb. bean sprouts
1 lb. tamarind pulp
2 cups sugar
2 cups ketchup
1⁄2 cup lemon juice
24 oz. rice noodles, deep fried
18 oz. sweet soy sauce
3⁄4 cup mixed red and yellow peppers, 1⁄4-in. dice
3⁄4 cup scallions, cut on bias
- Thread mushroom slices onto skewers, approx. 4-5 slices each. In a bowl, combine canola oil, ginger, lemongrass and garlic. Marinate mushroom skewers at least 20 min.
- Combine shallots, ginger and rice wine vinegar in a blender. Season and slowly add canola oil, blending, until thick and emulsified. Reserve.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbages, carrots and bean sprouts. Toss thoroughly with reserved dressing until coated.
- For tamarind sauce, soak tamarind pulp in 1 qt. water until soft; strain and reserve liquid. In a saucepan, combine tamarind liquid, sugar and ketchup and simmer approx. 45 min. until reduced to a light syrup. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat. Reserve.
- Remove mushrooms from marinade. Season and grill until just tender and some charring occurs, approx. 3-4 min.
Place 2 oz. slaw around edge of plate. Mound 2 oz. noodles in the center and ladle with 1 oz. tamarind sauce. Place 5 skewers on noodles and garnish with sweet soy sauce, onions and peppers.