Source: Recipe from Chef Paul Ornstein
Earthy oysters are topped with a delectable breadcrumb and spinach mixture. Broiled until golden brown, these are a classic appetizer.
2 fennel bulbs, finely chopped
1 cup green onions, chopped
1⁄2 cup shallots, chopped
3-4 lb. spinach leaves, washed and dried
1⁄3 cup anisette liqueur
1 lb. unsalted butter
1⁄8 cup anchovies, rinsed
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
2 1⁄2 cups toasted bread crumbs
20-24 fresh oysters
1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Sauté fennel, green onions, and shallots until tender. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Deglaze pan with liqueur and reduce.
2. Cool vegetables and puree.
3. Puree butter and anchovies. Add vegetable puree to butter mixture and season with salt and pepper. Fold in 2 cups of breadcrumbs.
4. Shuck oysters and cover liberally with butter mixture. Top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
5. Broil on a bed of rock salt until oysters are golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.