Pasticciata di Zucca e Crespelle
|Ingredients||Eggs, Pasta, Vegetables, Dairy|
|Menu Part||Appetizer/Small Plate|
Source: Recipe from Chef Dan Swinney
This dish is a seven-layer wonder of crepes, roasted butternut squash, goat cheese, ricotta, and bechamel. "This last baked 'pasta' is unique because it uses crepes instead of pasta to build the layers," says chef Dan Swinney.
20-30 Crepes (recipe follows)
2 butternut squash (3 lb.)
1 tbsp. butter, softened
1⁄2 cup melted butter
12 oz. ricotta cheese
12 oz. goat cheese
2-3 large eggs, beaten
3 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 qt. béchamel sauce
Sage Butter (recipe follows)
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1⁄2 cup club soda
1⁄4 tsp. salt
2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tbsp. butter, melted
Oil, for frying
4 oz. unsalted butter, cut up 8 fresh sage leaves
12 oz. chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare crepes up to 24 hours in advance.
- Peel and seed squash; cut into long slices about 1⁄4-in. thick. Brush a sheet pan with melted butter and lay squash slices on top; season and brush with more melted butter.
- Roast squash in a 375°F. oven until tender and beginning to caramelize, about 20-30 min.; cool. Roughly mash squash pulp; drain overnight.
- Drain ricotta in strainer overnight in the refrigerator.
- To assemble: Prepare béchamel sauce. Combine ricotta, goat cheese, and eggs. Stir in 1 cup grated Parmigiano -Reggiano; season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Grease sides of 9x13-in. non-metal baking dish with softened butter. Arrange crepes, side by side, slightly overlapping, to cover sides of baking dish and overhang by 2 in. Cover bottom of dish with more crepes in one layer.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Reserve 1 cup béchamel and 1 cup Parmigiano for topping. Spread about 1⁄3 cup remaining béchamel over bottom layer of crepes; top with some squash and sprinkle with 1⁄4 cup Parmigiano. Continue layering crepes, 1⁄3 cup béchamel, half the ricotta-goat cheese mixture, and 1⁄4 cup Parmigiano. Build two more layers identical to first two. Fold overhanging crepes over top layer; press lightly. Cover remaining filling with crepes. Top with reserved béchamel and Parmigiano.
- Cover loosely with foil; prick foil so steam can escape. Bake pasticciata 30 min; remove foil and bake 20-30 min. longer, until browned. Let stand 15-30 min. Cut in squares and drizzle with sage butter.
- Whisk eggs until blended. Add milk, water, club soda, and salt; stir to blend. Sift flour into liquid; stir until smooth. Stir in the melted butter. Pour into oiled crepe pan and cook.
- Heat butter in a 12-in. sauté pan. Add sage leaves and sauté 2-3 min. Add stock and cook until sauce is emulsified and reduced by 1⁄3. Season.