Source: Southern Peanut Growers
More and more customers are demanding gluten-free options, but it’s tricky to find baked goods that qualify—and still taste good. Chef Nicotra’s Peanut Crostata, the dessert winner in a national peanut contest, fits the bill. He developed a gluten-free tart shell using a flour that’s a blend of rice starch, corn starch, potato starch, soy flour and xanthan gum. The gooey, crunchy peanut filling nicely complements the tender, buttery crust.
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour, containing rice starch, corn starch, potato starch, soy flour and xanthan gum
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
1 large egg yolk
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Ice water, as needed
2 large eggs
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup unsalted peanuts, toasted
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- Prepare tart shell: Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together; transfer to food processor. Add butter, egg yolk and lemon zest; process until butter is somewhat soft and evenly distributed throughout the flour mixture.
- Sprinkle 3 tbsp. ice water over mixture; pulse until dough just starts to hold together when lightly pressed. If necessary, add more ice water. Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill dough at least 1 hour.
- Butter a 10-in. tart pan with removable bottom. On floured work surface, roll out dough into 12-in. circle. Center dough over tart pan; fit into edges of pan with your fingers and trim off excess overhanging dough. Prick bottom with fork; set on a baking sheet in the freezer for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350⁰ F. and prepare filling. In bowl of electric mixer, combine eggs, salt, brown sugar and vanilla; beat at med. speed for 2-3 min. Add corn syrup; continue to mix until blended. Add peanuts; mix again until incorporated. Add the butter and mix thoroughly.
- Pour filling mixture into tart shell; spread evenly with a spatula. Bake tart in preheated oven until edges of shell are golden brown and center of filling is set, about 40 min. Cool thoroughly for about 1 hr. before serving.