Source: Pacific Northwest Canned Pear Service (PNCPS)
The combination of cheese and fruit in a fresh-baked muffin creates an item that crosses over into several dayparts. Perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or glass of milk, the muffin also makes a hearty mid-morning or afternoon snack. Or menu it as an accompaniment to soup or salad at lunch.
7 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 oz. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1 lb. Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 qt. milk
1 cup vegetable oil
2 lb. 11 oz. canned pears, diced and well drained
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add cheese to dry ingredients. With mixer on low speed, mix until cheese is coated and separated.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just blended (the batter will be lumpy). Fold in pears.
- With #16 dipper, spoon batter into 48 greased muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake 20 min., until muffins are golden brown.
- Turn out of pans immediately and cool.